Temporary NetID System User Guide
The Temporary NetID System (TNS) is a tool available for departments to provide individuals with a temporary UCR NetID and password, who will not be made active in UCPath or otherwise does not have a UCR NetID, in order to access the UC Learning Center learning management system (LMS).
- The TNS automatically generates a temporary NetID and creates a user profile within the LMS, allowing access to training.
- Temporary NetIDs also provide wireless network access.*
- Temporary NetIDs provide a maximum access period of 90 days from the date of the request and cannot be extended or renewed after they have expired.
The system is intended for users who do not and will not have a permanent UCR NetID and are not part of the standard payroll process. Examples of the type of user who would be granted temporary access via the TNS include:
- Someone who would be on campus for up to 90 days, is required to complete learning activities in the LMS, and will not be entered into the payroll system or issued an affiliate NetID during that time.
- A visiting researcher without a Social Security Number (SSN) who needs quick access to training prior to receiving and having a SSN entered in payroll.
These NetIDs do not provide a UCR email account or access to any other UCR systems or applications. Please note students already have access to the UC Learning Center and should not be issued temporary NetIDs.
*Strictly looking for wireless network access for a visitor? Use ITS's Guest Wireless Account Management tool.
In general, the TNS should be used for someone who either (a) will never be issued a permanent UCR NetID, or (b) needs access to training prior to being established in payroll or obtaining other permanent access. These would be cases where individuals may be delayed in obtaining permanent access or who are only on campus for a very short time (less than 90 days). Requesters will be required to indicate when a permanent employee or affiliate NetID has been obtained.
It is appropriate to use the TNS for the following situations and individuals:
- A volunteer working less than 2 weeks who is not a UCR Student and whose volunteer appointment is not entered into UCPath
- Someone paid though ePay who is not a UCR Student and who will not be issued an Affiliate NetID
- An employee, who is not a UCR student, who is awaiting a Social Security Number who needs immediate access to the UC Learning Center to meet training requirements in order to work
When a temporary NetID expires, the requester will be prompted to indicate whether or not a more permanent form of access has been established for the individual, as in an Affiliate NetID, a SSN in payroll, etc. This information is required in order to resolve instances of duplicate profiles so that learner training records can be consolidated under their permanent profiles. Should an individual receive permanent access sooner than expected (i.e., prior to their temporary NetID expiring) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure continued access to training records.
Note: the TNS can be used anytime. If a visitor or would like to complete training prior to arriving on campus it is appropriate to issue a temporary NetID prior to arrival. Just be aware that their access period will be calculated from the date the temporary NetID is created.
Roles & Responsibilities
The department sponsoring or hosting an affiliate on campus is responsible for submitting requests for temporary NetIDs for their affiliates.
It is recommended that:
- Each organization establish a process for these requests and determine if these requests will be managed at the organizational or departmental level – for example, you may choose to establish requesters in each department and a limited number of transactors at the organizational level.
- Roles in the TNS be restricted to those individuals who are able to track the status of affiliates during their time on campus; this is typically staff involved in onboarding or payroll and personnel processes.
Example: If a visiting researcher was initially provided a temporary NetID with a two week access period and the researcher will extend their stay, the access period on the request will need to be extended by the original transactor/requester. NOTE: Extensions can only be made while the temporary NetID is active (i.e., during the access period). Once the access period ends the ID expires and cannot be extended.
Roles are established by the Departmental System Access Administrators (SAAs) in the Enterprise Access Control System (EACS) and the TNS is accessed via R’Space Authorized Applications. The application and roles are available to ALL accountability structures across campus.
Requesters and Transactors should refrain from submitting requests for affiliates outside of their department or organization as they will not be able to select the most appropriate department for the affiliate. The department established for an affiliate in the TNS becomes their department in the UC Learning Center and they may be assigned training associated with that department.
The Requester can create a new temporary NetID request and route it to the Transactor for approval and finalization. The Requester can perform the following actions:
The Transactor can create a new temporary NetID request and approve and finalize the request. The Transactor can perform the following actions:
This tab provides two links to the main actions you can take:
|Create Account||This tab houses the form you will fill out, save, and submit to create a temporary NetID.|
|View Requests||TRANSACTORS ONLY: This tab allows transactors to view all the requests that are in process for them to review.|
|Search Accounts||This tab houses a search tool to find current and past NetID accounts.|
Why does this tool exist?
This is strictly for generating temporary UCR NetIDs that will be used to access the UC Learning Center. This tool automatically registers each new UCR NetID as an "affiliate" within the LMS, allowing them immediate access to training, as well as grants temporary wireless access.
Will these NetIDs provide additional access to UCR application/systems?
No, the Temporary UCR NetID may only be used to access the UC Learning Center (and the campus wireless network). Temporary NetIDs do not provide a UCR email or access to other applications.
When should I use the Temporary NetID System?
It is appropriate to use the TNS for the following situations/individuals:
- A volunteer who will not be hired into UCPath, will be on campus for less than 90 days, and does not already have a UCR NetID (e.g., UCR students, former employees, etc.).
- Someone paid though ePay who is not and will not be entered into UCPath (Please note: if this individual will be here more than 90 days an Affiliate NetID should be requested)
- An employee who is awaiting a Social Security Number and needs immediate access to training.
- Someone who needs access to training prior to being established in payroll or obtaining other permanent access. These would be cases where individuals may be delayed in obtaining permanent access or need to complete training before coming to campus so they are able to start work immediately upon arrival. (Please note: You will be required to indicate when a permanent employee or affiliate NetID has been obtained)
How long are these NetIDs active? What happens when access expires?
Temporary NetIDs are active from 7 to 90 days. If desired, the Transactor may extend the access after the initial request is submitted (e.g., from 7 days to 30 days). However, the cumulative number of access days cannot exceed 90.
A 3-day reminder email is sent before access expires. A second notification is sent when the NetID expires. The transactor/requestor should then indicate if the individual has received a more permanent form of access, through payroll or the standard affiliate process, so that their training records can be moved to their permanent profiles if necessary by the UC Learning Center staff.
Once I have created a Temporary NetID what do I need to do?
The user will be emailed their NetID and password and given information about logging into the UC Learning Center. You will be informed once a NetID is due to expire so that you may extend access if necessary, and you will receive a notification when that NetID expires.
This notification will also prompt you to indicate if a more permanent form of access was received such as a SSN in payroll or an Affiliate NetID. If an individual receives their SSN or Affiliate NetID prior to the expiration of the Temporary NetID, please contact email@example.com to prevent issues with duplicate records and insure your user has continual access to their training transcript.
We have a new employee who has just started at the University, they have just been activated in payroll so they will not have access to the UC Learning Center for 24 to 48 hours, can we create a Temporary NetID to get them access now?
No, it is not recommended that new employees who will have permanent access and are only waiting for their information to become active in the system be provided a Temporary NetID. If you have questions about this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who should I contact if I have a problem using the TNS?
Please contact email@example.com for assistance with the TNS.
A person with a Temporary NetID is having trouble accessing or logging into the UC Learning Center.
Please have the user contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Where can users learn about using the UC Learning Center?
Please have them review the information available in the online Learner Guide.